This healthy version of the classic Greek dish will be sure to have you coming back for more!
Nothing beats warming up with a hearty bowl of Moussaka at the end of a gloomy winter’s day. This super simple recipe makes a perfect midweek dinner and is a great way to use up any leftover Bolognese or chilli you may have sitting around in your fridge or freezer.
Cooking a healthy, wholesome meal from scratch every day can seem like an impossible task. If you’re looking to cut down on the time you spend in the kitchen, I’d highly recommend batch cooking staple ingredients that can be used in multiple dishes. This will save you money and time, as well as keeping you on track with your health goals.
I swear by making things like chilli, soups, pulled chicken and roasted vegetables in bulk to use them in multiple dishes throughout the week, or freeze them for later use. For example, I made a huge portion of butternut squash chill in the slow cooker earlier this week, later making up three different things from it– a pasta dish, a Mexican bowl, and of course, this lovely recipe!
Step 1. Grab your ingredients and get measuring. You’ll need 2 aubergines, some pumpkin purée, leftover chilli, butter, cheese, paprika and salt.
Step 2. Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line a baking tray with non-stick paper and lightly oil with some olive oil (coconut or avocado oil also works well). Spread out the sliced aubergine evenly on the baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 3. Bake for 10 minutes on each side or until golden.
Step 4.Whilst the aubergine is baking, turn to make the pumpkin sauce. Add the pumpkin purée, butter, salt and paprika to a saucepan.
Step 5. Heat on a low, stirring continuously until the butter has melted and a smooth consistency has been formed.
Step 6. Place a layer of aubergine in the bottom of a casserole dish
Step 7. Add a layer of mince meat on top
Step 8. Repeat the process until you run out of aubergine and mince.
Step 9. Top it all off with the pumpkin cheese sauce.
Step 10. If you’d like a cheesy crust, add a good amount of cheese or a dairy-free alternative on top.
- Turkey Chilli
- 2 Large Aubergines
- 1 Tin Pumpkin Purée
- 1 Cup Cheese
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1tsp Garlic
- 2tbsp Grass-Fed Butter
- Preheat Oven to 180 Degrees & line a tray with baking paper
- Cut up the aubergine into slices & place them on the baking sheet. Lightly drizzle olive oil over & season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, turning half way through.
- In the meantime, add pumpkin purée, garlic, butter & paprika to a saucepan
- Heat up the pumpkin mixture until the butter & cheese has melted, mixing thoroughly
- Remove the aubergine from the oven & place a layer of cooked aubergine in the bottom of a deep oven proof dish
- Layer half the turkey chilli on top of the aubergine
- Add a second layer of aubergine & then place the remaining aubergine on top
- Cover the chilli mixture with the pumpkin mixture
- Top with as much cheese as you like. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted & browned on top
1 Cup = 250ml (metric measure)