Who said you couldn’t have chocolate pudding for breakfast?
I’m a sucker for anything chocolatey, and the idea of waking up to a chocolate pudding for breakfast makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Whilst your traditional chocolate pudding might not be the healthiest start to your day; this chocolate chia pudding recipe is both nutritious and filling.
This overnight recipe is super easy, requiring just 5 ingredients and a couple of minutes of your time to whip up. I love to have this either as a light breakfast or as a late-night snack to curb those chocolate cravings.
I’m a whole chia kind of gal, but I’m aware that some might prefer your pudding to be blended into a smooth moose. If that’s the case, no worries, blend everything into a smooth consistency once set in the fridge.
Why are chia seeds so healthy?
The hype around chia seeds is going nowhere, and for a good reason. Chia seeds are nutritious powerhouses, benefiting both your brain and body with a host of health benefits:
- They are loaded with antioxidants
- Almost all the carbohydrates in them are fibre
- They are high in quality protein
- May aid weight loss
- High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- May lower your risk of heart disease
- High in many important bone nutrients
- May reduce blood sugar levels
- May reduce chronic inflammation
Healthy Chia Pudding Ingredients
Chia Seeds Make sure to use whole and not ground chia seeds. To save money, I always buy my chia seeds in bulk.
Milk. I like to use either almond or oat milk for this recipe, depending how creamy I want it to be.
Sweetener. Honey, maple syrup or agave syrup work amazingly in this recipe. If you like your chia pudding a little sweeter than me, feel free to add as much sweetener as you like.
Cacao Powder. If you don’t have cacao powder to hand, feel free to substitute it with unsweetened cocoa powder. If you are using sweetened cocoa powder, you will want to reduce the sweetener (i.e. honey) to compensate.
Vanilla Extract. Using a couple drops of natural vanilla extract really enhances this pudding.Print
- 2Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2Cup Milk of choice
- 1Tsp Sweetener (honey/maple syrup/ agave syrup)
- 1/2Tsp Cacao/Cocoa Powder
- Few drops of Vanilla Extract
- Mix everything together and leave to set overnight (or at least 1-2 hours)
1 Cup = 250ml (metric measure)